IrfanZ

Tree Removal Expense on primary residence

Hi We spent over $7500 to remove a bunch of trees from our primary residence.  From all my research that I've done, I come to find that you can't deduct for such a service on primary residence.  However, it is deductible on a rental property.  My house is a primary residence where I had the tree cutting done.  The reason for the tree removal was during very windy seasons huge branches would fall dangerously close to the house.  In fact, some branches were hanging over our roof.  So just to be sure, would I be able to deduct for such an expense on my 2020 taxes?

Thank you

MinhT1

No, this expense on your primary residence is not tax deductible, no matter the circumstances.

tgbutler168

What if the tree is dead from lightning strike? Is the cost of removal tax deductible?

Sorry---still no.   Casualty losses are not deductible on a federal return unless you are in a federally declared disaster area.