Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Travel expenses for rental properties

My wife and I traveled out of state to do maintenance on our rental properties.  We also did maintenance on my mother-in-law's rental property (also in that out of state location).  I'm planning to deduct our travel expenses for our rental property work.  My mother-in-law is planning to deduct the cost of repair items, and capitalize the improvements made, but is there a way for her to deduct any of the time and travel expenses we spent working on her property?  Would she have to pay us for the actual labor?

2 Replies
Level 15

Travel expenses for rental properties

Yes, she could pay you and deduct that as an expense but then you would have to report the payment as income (and it would be ordinary income taxed at your marginal tax rate).

Level 2

Travel expenses for rental properties

Thank you!

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings