Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Transferring money to minor bank account that is not a Uniform Transfer to Minors Act (UTMA)

So I opened a joint bank account under my daughter's name with her as the primary owner and it's under her SS# and she is under 10 years.  I file her as my dependent on my yearly taxes.   She currently few thousand in her account that was transfer over to her account from my bank account and she earn less than $200 a year from her unearned interest.  ( I didn't need to file since the amount is under $1250 in 2023 and she was the primary owner).   I was thinking of transferring more money into her account from my bank account so that she can accumlated more unearned interest to max out the unearned interests from CDs.   How would that affect my taxes since I am transferring money over to her bank account?  Would I have report this on my taxes?   Would this be considered a gift tax?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Transferring money to minor bank account that is not a Uniform Transfer to Minors Act (UTMA)

No, this would not be considered for the gift tax since she is your dependent. 

It would not affect your return, until it triggered the kiddie tax. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So transferring over $20 grand over to my minor's account would not be an issue since I am an joint owner on the account?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Correct.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies