To remove the home energy deduction entry:
1) Go to Deductions & Credits> Your Home> Home energy credits -- select "Revisit"
2) On the screen asking if you made energy-saving improvements in 2016 or have a carryforward form 2015 -- select "Yes" in order to revisit all the necessary screens to delete the field that has the entry.
3) continue through 3 additional screens asking about home ownership (answer the same way you did initially when making the entry)
4) You should then see the data entry screen "Tell Us How Much You Paid for Energy-Saving Improvements" -- delete any "Cost" entry entered in error.
5) If you continue through the remainder of the home energy topic -- there is a screen "Enter Any Additional Energy -Efficient Improvements" -- delete any "Cost" entry here that was entered in error.
6) Continue through the end of the interview topic, until you see the Deductions & Credits main screen again. The Home Energy Credit amount should now be "0".