Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

csygit
Returning Member

How much do loan origination fees actually lower my income taxes? In other words, if I deduct $8k in origination fees, how many $ would that reduce my income taxes by?

Also, if I do a cash out refi for home improvements, I can deduct all of the origination fees in the same tax year I refi, correct?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How much do loan origination fees actually lower my income taxes? In other words, if I deduct $8k in origination fees, how many $ would that reduce my income taxes by?

These kinds of questions are impossible to answer with any precision as the effect on your income taxes depends entirely on your personal situation, something that nobody here understands since we are simply TurboTax users, like you.

The general answer is that a reduction of $8,000 of ordinary income will affect your taxes at whatever your marginal tax rate happens to be.  So if it happens that your marginal tax rate is 29.67% then the $8,000 income reduction will save you $2,374.    If you expect your taxable income will be more or less what it was last year, except for the $8,000 reduction, look at last year's income tax return, look up your taxable income, and then figure out what tax bracket you'll be in:

https://taxfoundation.org/2017-tax-brackets/

and you can get a rough estimate of the tax benefit.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

1 Reply

These kinds of questions are impossible to answer with any precision as the effect on your income taxes depends entirely on your personal situation, something that nobody here understands since we are simply TurboTax users, like you.

The general answer is that a reduction of $8,000 of ordinary income will affect your taxes at whatever your marginal tax rate happens to be.  So if it happens that your marginal tax rate is 29.67% then the $8,000 income reduction will save you $2,374.    If you expect your taxable income will be more or less what it was last year, except for the $8,000 reduction, look at last year's income tax return, look up your taxable income, and then figure out what tax bracket you'll be in:

https://taxfoundation.org/2017-tax-brackets/

and you can get a rough estimate of the tax benefit.

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies