Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gerardsr1

I'm leasing an electric car. I purchased a charging station. can I claim a deduction for either?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LindaA
Expert Alumni

I'm leasing an electric car. I purchased a charging station. can I claim a deduction for either?

You may be able to claim a credit for the charging station since you own it. You must be the original owner of the charging station and it must be installed at your main home if it isn't used for business or investment purposes. For more information, please see IRS Instructions for Form 8911 and What is Form 8911: Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit.

You can't claim a credit for the car because in the case of a leased vehicle the lessor, not the lessee, may claim the credit. See IRS Instructions for Form 8936 for more information.

To enter your qualifying charging station in TurboTax:

• Continue working on your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
  • Click Tax Tools (lower left side of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the search bar, type charging station.
  • In the I'm looking for: box, highlight charging station, then click GO.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions.

Note: If using the TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll use the Find function and "Jump to" link (instead of "Tax Tools") to search for the topic.

Edited 03.02.2018 I 08:21PM PST

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LindaA
Expert Alumni

You may be able to claim a credit for the charging station since you own it. You must be the original owner of the charging station and it must be installed at your main home if it isn't used for business or investment purposes. For more information, please see IRS Instructions for Form 8911 and What is Form 8911: Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit.

You can't claim a credit for the car because in the case of a leased vehicle the lessor, not the lessee, may claim the credit. See IRS Instructions for Form 8936 for more information.

To enter your qualifying charging station in TurboTax:

• Continue working on your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
  • Click Tax Tools (lower left side of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the search bar, type charging station.
  • In the I'm looking for: box, highlight charging station, then click GO.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions.

Note: If using the TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll use the Find function and "Jump to" link (instead of "Tax Tools") to search for the topic.

Edited 03.02.2018 I 08:21PM PST
GinnyF

There are questions regarding the calculation of the Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit and who qualifies for the personal part of this credit. The most common reason taxpayers do not qualify for this credit is that the calculation of regular tax after credits compared to Tentative Minimum Tax results in the credit being disallowed based on the amounts in the taxpayer(s) return. This is due to IRS instructions for this form.

The Form 8911 for personal installations is calculated based on certain requirements and calculations:

The following requirements must be met to qualify for the credit.
You placed the refueling property in service during your tax year.
The original use of the property began with you.
The property isn’t used predominantly outside the United States.
The property must be installed on property used as your main home.

The personal credit calculations are as follows:
Line 1 Cost of the refueling property  For personal use, skip lines 2-9.
Line 10 equals Line 1
Line 11 equals Line 10 times 30%
Line 12 equals $1,000   (unless you moved during the tax year and installed a refueling property at both residences, then the maximum is $2,000)
Line 14 is your regular tax before credits
Line 15 a and b are credits which reduce regular tax before the Form 8911 credit
Line 15c equals a and b total.
Line 16 is line 14 minus Line 15c (remaining regular tax after tax credits)
If this is zero or less, you do not qualify for a personal 8911 credit
Line 17 equals Tentative Minimum Tax
(Even if you do not have to pay Alternative Minimum Tax, the Tentative Minimum Tax is part of this calculation. Turbo Tax does this calculation for you.)
Line 18 equals Line 17 from Line 16.
If this is zero or less, you do not qualify for a personal 8911 credit.

On line 10 instruction says "Do not file this form unless you are claiming a credit on line 9.  But  Turbo Tax continued and calculated the amount.  When filed, IRS rejected amount on line 19 and sent me a bill for it.  What should I do?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies