Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The tax/stimulus credit for Dec 1 2023 is for the 2021 tax year. How can I expect my refund for that being I no longer have access to the bank account I used in 2021?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

The tax/stimulus credit for Dec 1 2023 is for the 2021 tax year. How can I expect my refund for that being I no longer have access to the bank account I used in 2021?

If I understand correctly you are now filing a 2021 return. You can use a bank account that you currently have to receive your stimulus payment. 

You can only get the third stimulus payment of $1400 per person if you are filing a 2021 tax return---you will not get it on a 2023 tax return, so not sure why you are mentioning December 2023.    When you mail in your 2021 return, you will be able to indicate on the tax form what bank account you want the refund to be directly deposited to, or you can choose to have the IRS mail you a check.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Your eligibility for the stimulus money—-now available as the recovery rebate credit— will depend on your circumstances in 2020 and/or 2021.   If you could be claimed as someone else’s dependent in 2020 or 2021, you are not eligible for the recovery rebate credit now.

The first stimulus checks were issued in 2020; the first one was for $1200 for adults and $500 for qualified children dependents under the age of 17.   The IRS was in a hurry to send out those checks so they sometimes used information from your 2019 return to send out the check.  Or sometimes they sent it after you filed your 2020 return.

The second stimulus was sent in late 2020 or early 2021; that one was $600 per adult and $600 for qualified children dependents under the age of 17.

The 3rd stimulus check was $1400 for adults and $1400 for any dependent you claimed, and was sent out in 2021.

If you did not receive the first or second stimulus check, you can get it by filing a 2020 return and use the recovery rebate credit in Federal Review.   The stimulus amount will show up on line 30 of the Form 1040.

If you did not receive the 3rd stimulus check, you can get it by filing a 2021 tax return and use the recovery rebate credit in Federal Review.    The stimulus amount will show up on line 30 of the Form 1040.

Check your own bank account for deposits of the stimulus checks, and check your online account with the IRS to see what the IRS shows they sent to you.

Try checking your online account with the IRS (and if you filed a joint return—check for BOTH of you)

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies