`

Turbotax is saying "We see [spouse] had a break in HDHP health plan coverage during 2017" which is not correct. Where can I correct this information?

The question on the page before you see that there was a “lapse” in coverage is causing the issue.

On the previous page you should see the question, “What type of High Deductible Health Plan did [spouse] have on December 1, 2016?”.  The choices are Family, Self only, or None

If the spouse had been covered under the taxpayer's family plan, you might think you should answer Family to the question.  However, the answer should be None

It is referring to what type of plan the spouse held in their name on December 1, 2016.  If the spouse had their own separate HDHP on that date, then choose the type of plan that the spouse had.  If instead the spouse was covered under the plan in the taxpayer's name, then you should choose None.

To go back to the section of your return to answer the questions again, use the following steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “hsa” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to hsa
  • Click on the blue “Jump to hsa” link and edit your information

this could be explained better in turbotax. Even the explanation of an eligible individual is not very straightforward.

Had the same problem.  Please fix this Intuit.

+1 The question in turbotax is not clear enough. Please fix it.

Thanks for the answer but this is super unclear. If my spouse is covered under my family plan I would surely expect to answer "family".  The wording on that question talks about selecting "None" if my spouse failed to become an eligible individual which has nothing to do with my situation.  I had to resort to Google to try and find this answer.

+1

Agree with the other comments here. Unclear wording.

Hello Intuit, fix this! "What type of HDHP did <spouse> have on December 1, 2016?" says nothing about it being them on a separate plan from the primary filer. Add a note that is what you intend with the question, please!

+1

I agree with everyone else. Make the wording clearer so we're not searching for this same answer when filing next year's taxes again. Thanks for the explanation though.

Yes, totally agree with everyone else.   Thanks for the "right" answer, but please fix the wording of the question for next year because it is definitely unclear.

+1

+1

Totally agree, was having the same problem.

It's 2018 now and this is still not fixed, at least in the desktop version of Turbotax Premier. Please fix this.