rpoe2003

The American Opportunity Tax Credit was given to me based on my information, I was transitioning between my final year of undergrad and first year of grad

how can I tell if I received the American Opportunity Credit previously so I know not to accept it again?

Hal_Al

You can only know from your own records. Check your (and/or your parent's) tax returns for all the years you were an undergrad.

If you do not qualify for the AOTC, because it was claimed on you 4 times already, you may still claim the Lifetime Learning Credit and count both your undergrad & grad expenses. You may only count undergrad expenses in claiming the AOTC.

Hal_Al