Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The $2000 Child tax credit did not result in a refresh that increased my tax refund

The $2000 Child tax credit did not result in a refresh that increased my tax refund.

1 child

less than 400k - married

The credit shows in the worksheet - in blue, but does not result in an increased tax refund.  Currently at $2028, with Child Tax Credit should be $4028?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

The $2000 Child tax credit did not result in a refresh that increased my tax refund

Are you see it on line 12 of you 1040?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

CTC isn't directly refundable, it reduces tax liability, which may increase the amount of withholdings or payments that are available to be refunded.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Ok, I will say this a different way.
Within the Turbo Tax Application, Federal Taxes Tab, Deductions & Credits Tab, You and Your Family Category:

I entered the requested data for 1 Child "Qualifies you for up to $2000" & "Your Child and Other Dependent Tax Credit $2,000"
continue
Answered "No" IRS notice to file 8862
2018 Column Shows:
Child and Other Dependent Tax Credit $2,000

This entry resulted in no change to my Federal Refund.
I see no evidence that the $2,000 credit was credited.

I have not completed or finalized the return in Turbotax, so I don't have completed forms to show line 12 of the 1040. Everything is done with data entry, just want to resolve this one issue.

The IRS has received substantial withholdings from us in 2018, We paid/had too much witheld and according to Turbotax are owed a $2,028 refund. However the CTC data entry made no change to the refund.  If CTC isn't directly refundable, how do we benefit from this credit if not via a greater Federal Refund?

Click Tax Tools>>Tools>>View Tax Summary>>Preview My 1040 to see your 1040 and line 12
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ChristieB

The Child Tax Credit is the lesser of $2,000 (for one child) or the amount of your taxes owed minus any other non-refundable credits (such as the Child and Dependent Care Credit and certain Education Credits). 

There are also income limitations: $400,000 for Married Filing Jointly and $200,000 for all other filing statuses, that will result in a reduction of the credit received. 

Because the Child Tax Credit is a non-refundable credit, any amount of that $2,000 that exceeds your tax liability will not be refunded to you. You may qualify, however, for the Additional Child Tax Credit, which is refundable. 

If you'd like to see if you have also received the Additional Child Tax Credit, you can Preview Your 1040 using the instructions below: 

1.) On the left-hand side of your screen, click Tax Tools

2.) Click Tools

3.) On the window that pops up, click View Tax Summary

4.) On the left-hand side, click Preview My 1040

The Additional Child Tax Credit appears on line 17b

Your Child Tax Credit amount will be on line 12a. If the amount on line 12 equals the amount on line 11, this means that your taxes have been reduced to 0, and that is why you did not receive the full amount of this credit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies