Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Consultant, received a 1099-Misc from his "employer". I travel to their office Mon-Fri using public transport that cost over $13.00/day. Can I deduct the travel expense?

My son is a first year marketing consultant, and received a 1099-Misc for Non-Employee compensation (box 7).  He travels to their office Monday to Friday every week on public transport that cost over $13.00/day.  Can he deduct the daily travel expense by multiplying all the days that he goes into the office by the $13.00?  This adds up to be a large amount of money for the entire year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DS30

Consultant, received a 1099-Misc from his "employer". I travel to their office Mon-Fri using public transport that cost over $13.00/day. Can I deduct the travel expense?

Yes - as a self-employed independent contractor, he would be able to claim the any travel expenses made away from his home office (his home) even if he is not able to claim a home office expense. This is due to the fact that as an independent contractor, his travel expenses to the office would be considered his travel expenses to his first (and maybe only) client's office.

Thanks TTDeeS.  I love your answer.  My only concern that I had was I heard sometime ago because the travel is daily to his only one client's office would be classified by the IRS as a commute vs. business travel.
DS30

That would apply more to him if he was an employee (like instead of commuting to company's office, he commutes to his client's office). But for self-employed individuals, he can claim that his home is actually his "office" and any travel for business (including travel to a client's office) is a business expense.

Thank you so much for re-confirming.
DS30

You are very welcome 🙂
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies