Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Thanks for the info!

Much obliged! 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Thanks for the info!

If you are a W-2 employee then none of your employee business expenses are deductible on a federal tax return due to the tax changes in effect for tax years 2018 thru 2025.

Thanks for the info!

Those types of expenses are not deductible on your federal tax return if you are a W-2 employee.  You can enter them in Turbotax because some states still allow this deduction, but whether you get a state tax reduction will depend on your state and other income and deductions.  Your employer is allowed to reimburse you tax-free for legitimate work-related expenses, this is something you would have to negotiate with them.  You might also want to check state labor laws, because some states do not allow employers to make these kind of expenses mandatory unless they reimburse you.  

Thanks for the info!

Okay thats what I came to for a conclusion but wanted to make sure!  I thought I heard about something of it having to equal $12,000 before it could be considered so wasn’t sure but thanks, much appreciated!

Thanks for the info!

@clook23 Did you edit/remove your question?  Please do not do that in the future.   Other users come to the forum for information.   If they have no context for the replies in the thread, then the post is not helpful to anyone else.  Even if your question was answered to your satisfaction, leave it up there for others to see.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks for the info!

Original question:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/re-i-am-someone-who-lives-maine-...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks for the info!

@clook23 wrote:

Okay thats what I came to for a conclusion but wanted to make sure!  I thought I heard about something of it having to equal $12,000 before it could be considered so wasn’t sure but thanks, much appreciated!

The dollar amount relates to the standard deduction, and the amount is somewhat out of date.   Itemized deductions include mortgage interest, property taxes, gifts to charity, and state and local income tax or sales tax.  Itemized deductions also used to include some work-related expenses, but that was removed from the tax law for the years 2018-2025.  In general, you will not see tax savings from itemized deductions unless the total of all your itemized deductions are more than the standard deduction. Turbotax is designed for you to enter all your deductions and expenses and let the program decide what method gives you the most tax savings.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies