Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

david7

Can I deduct all of the property taxes I paid, or just a part after the sale of our house? We pay property taxes in advance, so the buyer paid us for his part at closing.

The IRS guidance says you cannot deduct it IF you are reimbursed for them. So, the answer seems straight forward (only deduct a part). However, I hesitate because the taxing authority did not reimburse me, but the buyer of the home did. Also, the regulation seems to allow for both the buyer and seller deducting the same amount if there wasn't a reimburement made.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I deduct all of the property taxes I paid, or just a part after the sale of our house? We pay property taxes in advance, so the buyer paid us for his part at closing.

The buyer reimbursed you. You can not deduct the part that the buyer paid you for.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The buyer reimbursed you. You can not deduct the part that the buyer paid you for.
david7

Thanks for the confirmation.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies