turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

emcrobbie
Returning Member

Tax payment with extension

I made a tax payment when I filed my 2018 extension. I’ve verified the payment amount appears correctly in the relevant Deductions & Credits screen but it has not reduced my Federal Tax Due amount. How can I force the Federal Tax Due to be reduced by the tax amount paid?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Does the payment that you made with the extension appear on Schedule 5 line 71?

emcrobbie
Returning Member

No, line 71 is blank.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@emcrobbie wrote:

No, line 71 is blank.

Well line 71 being blank would explain why the payment is not reducing your tax due. If it doesn't appear on Schedule 5 line 71, you must not have entered it correctly. Either it's not on your tax return at all, or it's in the wrong place. If it's in the wrong place, it might actually be reducing your tax due anyway.

You said that they payment amount appears on the "Deductions & Credits screen." Do you mean the summary screen with the heading "Your 2018 Deductions & Credits"? Where exactly does it appear on that screen? It should be in the "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid" section, on the line that says "Other Income Taxes," and it should be in the 2018 column, the column on the right. But other things could also be included in that line on the TurboTax summary screen. Some of the things that could be included do not reduce your federal tax due. I'm not sure this works on the Mac, but you might be able to click on the amount on that line and get a pop-up window that shows what's included in the total. It should show the amount as "Payments made with an extension".

If the amount of the payment is not in the 2018 column on the "Other Income Taxes" line, what line is it on? If it's on that line, but is not labeled "Payments made with an extension," what is the description of the amount?

Since the amount of the payment is not on Schedule 5 line 71, do you see it anywhere else on Schedule 5, Form 1040, or any of the other numbered schedules?

And just to confirm, you are talking about a payment that you made with a federal extension, is that right?

emcrobbie
Returning Member

Thank you for responding. Under "Deductions & Credits", I go to the "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid" section and select the Update button next to "Other Income Taxes". In that screen, I select the Update button next to “Payment with 2018 federal extension”. I then enter the amount paid in the box next to “2018 federal taxes paid with extension”. This is exactly the same amount as appears in the Federal Tax Due box in the top left hand corner of my screen. And I can confirm I made a federal extension. I’ve tried changing the payment amount to different values and it has no effect on the Federal Tax Due shown.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

1.  After you enter the amount, do you press Tab or click Done? The Federal Tax Due won't change immediately when you enter the amount. You have to press Tab or click Done. Pressing Enter won't do it.

2.  If that's not the problem, make sure you have no overrides anywhere in your tax return. An override can cause the automatic calculations to break in unexpected ways, even if the override is in a place that you think has nothing to do with the problem. Remove all overrides, then see if you still have the problem.

3.  If neither of those ideas solves the problem, call TurboTax support. With your permission, they can share your screen and look at your tax return to see what's going on. We can't do that here in the forum. To call support, go to the following link to get a phone number to call, during the hours that support is open. The current hours, outside the peak tax season, are Mon - Fri, 5:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Pacific time.

Contact us

GabiU
Level 15

@emcrobbie were you able to find a solution? 

Thank you rjs for all of your assistance here. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@emcrobbie  I don't know if you have contacted support or if you resolved this problem, but I ran across an old forum post from a couple of years ago that might have the solution. Since you are using the CD/Download TurboTax software, go to forms mode and open Form 4868. Below your name and address there is a box with the heading "Important Information." In that box there is a checkbox A. If that box is not checked, click it to check it. See if that makes your extension payment flow to Schedule 5 and reduce your Federal Tax Due.

Please let us know if this solves the problem.

nbbapat

I have exactly same problem. Doesnt work for me. 

I filed extension with payment, also updated the payment amount under "Deduction & Credits" -> "Other Income Taxes" -> "Payments with 2018 federal extension", however the extension payment does not reduce my tax due amount, and I don't see schedule 5 generated in my return. Something is seriously wrong. Can someone help please! 

You will need to contact TurboTax support for this situation ….

Go to this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies