Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tax deduction for home insulation

I hired a home insulation company to spray foam insulation into the exterior walls of my home.

I paid 60% of the deposit in July 2023 but the actual work with final payment was completed this month February 2024.

Can I write off anything for 2023? Or does it all have to be written off in the 2024 tax year?

I am a bit confused on how to proceed.

Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Since the installation was completed in 2024 you would enter the cost for the insulation, but not the labor, on your 2024 tax return you will file next year.

how do I possibly determine cost for insulation vs labor?  Its one price quoted. Nothing is itemized.

@vze56v6x wrote:

how do I possibly determine cost for insulation vs labor?  Its one price quoted. Nothing is itemized.

You can contact the installer and they should be able to tell you the cost of the insulation and the cost of the labor.

Doubtful they will break it down.
The contractor is not going to answer this if I ask because they are mad I disputed their deposit with the credit card company to force them to do the work….so….. I am sort of stuck with what is on the invoice.There’s a reason why it took 6 months to get them to do the work…the invoice I have is one price so why is that not good enough? 

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

The IRS wants you to have actual numbers for the cost of the insulation.  The cost of labor is specifically excluded from the Insulation portion of the credit.  So, without the actual numbers you cannot claim the credit. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies