Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jaha96
Returning Member

Stimulus

What if I already filed 2020 taxes and haven’t received the first stimulus check? Can I amend it and add it or is there another way?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
AR_CPA2
Employee Tax & Finance Expert

Stimulus

Yes, you should be able to amend your 2020 return to claim the stimulus if you qualify for it and you didn't get it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Stimulus

You were asked if you received either the first or second stimulus while completing the 2020 tax return.  If you indicated you did Not receive the first stimulus the program would have entered $1,200 on your Form 1040 Line 30 as a Recovery Rebate Credit.  The credit would have been included in your federal tax refund or it would have reduced the amount of taxes owed.

Look at your 2020 federal tax return Form 1040 Line 30.  Is there an amount entered?  Did you receive the full tax refund from the IRS as shown on Line 34 that included the Recovery Rebate Credit?

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

KochuK
Employee Tax Expert

Stimulus

Hi Jaha96, thank you for joining the "Ask the Experts: New Dependent" special forum today.

The first and second stimulus payments are reconciled when you file 2020 tax return. 

If you did not receive any or short paid compared to the amount you are entitled based on 2020 filing status and income level, the amount should be reflected on Form 1040, line 30 as Recovery Rebate Credit.

Please review your filed 2020 Form 1040, line 30 and determine if you need to file an amendment to claim the the underpaid stimulus payments.

Hope this helps.

Stimulus

What Stimulus payment didn't you get?  There have been 3.  1,200 and 600 and 1,400.  Did you have an amount on 1040 line 30 for the Recovery rebate credit?  That should be if you didn't get the full first 2 Stimulus payments or qualify for more.  Has the IRS finished processing your 2020 return?  Maybe they haven't sent the refund yet.

The new 3rd $1,400 Stimulus payment will be on your 2021 return next year.

drc845443
Employee Tax Expert

Stimulus

Hello, before you amend the tax return, you should check line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040 to see if you did not already receive the recovery rebate credit in lieu of the stimulus check.

If you did nor receive the credit either, then you should amend your tax return to claim the recovery rebate credit.

Jaha96
Returning Member

Stimulus

My line 30 is empty and when I recall filing is didn’t ask me. I received the first and second stimulus just not the first. How would I amend that?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies