turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Standard deduction

I had $10k in mortgage interest, and maxed out the SALT. Why is TT advising me to take the standard deduction?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Standard deduction

Are you filing a Joint return?   Are you over 65?Do you have any other deductions?  SALT max is 10,000+ 10,000 mortgage interest is 20,000?  If you file as Married filing Separate you have to file the same way as your spouse.  

For 2023 the standard deduction amounts are:
Single 13,850 + 1,850 or 65 and over or blind
HOH 20,800 + 1,850 for 65 and over or blind
Joint 27,700+ 1,500 for each 65 and over or blind
Married filing Separate 13,850 + 1,500 for 65 and over or blind

If it's giving you the Standard Deduction and  not showing you Schedule A you can check the actual amount of itemized deductions by using by going to

Tax Tools on left

Tools - Topic Search (top left box)

Type in  itemized deductions, choosing.  It should highlight that in the list, click on GO

Then Click on "Change my deduction". That will display the actual amount of itemized deductions vs. the standard deduction.    (Be sure to uncheck "Change my deduction" after checking it so you do not lock in the wrong deduction.

Standard deduction

Over 65

Standard deduction

And single.

Standard deduction

The total of all your itemized deductions on Schedule A must be greater than $15,700 to have any tax benefit.

Standard deduction

@DoninGA wrote:

The total of all your itemized deductions on Schedule A must be greater than $15,700 to have any tax benefit.

If you have $10,000 of SALT, but don't also have at least $5700 of charity donations, mortgage interest, or allowable medical expenses (over the 7.5% threshold) then your itemized deductions would be less than the standard, even with the SALT deduction of $10k. 

Standard deduction

Check your mortgage interest.  An old note says…….There is a new question or two you have to answer to get the mortgage interest deduction.  Like maybe put in your ending balance.  Make sure you answer that the loan is secured by the property.  Go back through that section.

One User said.....Two questions on the last two data entry pages for that item:  one asking if the loan was secured by the property purchased with the mortgage (my home) and the next asking if the money had been used to build or purchase the home.  I suspect both these are qualifying questions for deductibility.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies