Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Source of auto-entry in Qualified Business Income Deduction Summary?

We have some Non-employee Compensation, reported on a 1099-NEC, which triggered the use of the Qualified Business Income Deduction worksheet and summary. On the Summary form (QBI Ded Summary), there is an entry on line 9, Total REIT dividends. We have, however, no REIT investments. When I right-click on the entry and then Data Source, it opens a pop-up that lists three types of Sch K-1 Worksheets (Partnerships, S Corporations, and Estates and Trusts) as the source. There are, however, no Sch K-1 Worksheets in in use in my return. I looked at my Carryover Wks, but found nothing there. I'm at a loss as to how to track this down.

Any idea what might be the source of this REIT Dividends entry or how I could track down the source of this one data point?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieS
Expert Alumni

I am not sure why this is not listed as a data source, but box 5 of 1099-DIV goes to line 9 on the QBI deduction worksheet also.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

I am not sure why this is not listed as a data source, but box 5 of 1099-DIV goes to line 9 on the QBI deduction worksheet also.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Wow, spot on! Thank you, JulieS! 

I checked Box 5 of my 1099-DIV and the number matches the value on line 9 of the QBI Deduction Summary form. Apparently, a mutual fund I own has shares of has some domestic REITs in its portfolio.

Knowing what was going on, I checked form 8995 where REIT dividends are entered on line 6 and in a Smart Worksheet. Again, neither makes any reference to Box 5 of the 1099-DIV. I would have remained unaware of Section 199A dividends and how they impact the QBI deduction w/o your help. Again, THANKS!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies