turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm in a State audit; I have Audit Defense. The issue is TurboTax Home & Office allowing double entry of expenses on Sch A and C w/o validation. Anyone have this problem?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I'm in a State audit; I have Audit Defense. The issue is TurboTax Home & Office allowing double entry of expenses on Sch A and C w/o validation. Anyone have this problem?

I selected the Home and Office Product so that we could correctly report our income and expenses for the year. I'm not a tax expert, so when TurboTax asks for numbers on a specific item, I provide it. It now appears that we may have double reported a large business expense, which resulted in a business loss. I'm concerned because I had no idea that the question was intended for different parts of the return, and I would have assumed that a product like this would have validation to ensure similar items weren't reported in multiple parts of the return. There was nothing in the TurboTax entry description to indicate that they were different inputs.

Has anyone else had audit findings due to TurboTax errors?

Sorry but this is a user data entry because you failed to read the screen that told you what had already been entered.  If you made a duplicate entry then you have only yourself to blame. 

If you had entered the Sch A deduction first then back tracked to the Business tab to enter the home office expenses then the same cross reference would have happened there as well.  The program computes how much is deductible on the Sch C & the Sch A ... you do not need to do this yourself.  If you do choose to do the proration yourself then again you should never enter more than 100% of the amount and at no time should you  enter an income or expense amount in full twice. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies