Turbotax insists on an entry to 1040 worksheet- line 11 to be entered on line 12e-- it will not take a zero, even though I answered question that I DO NOT WANT to defer those taxes in the program " guide me through" entry-- this is a schedule H related matter
To adjust the entry to move past the error, try saying 'Yes' to defer, then put in $0 as that amount which should return no errors during review. Even though that is not the correct value, it was the only way to override the error and to not defer a portion of my payment.
Go back into your TurboTax account:
- Go back into Deductions and Credits and deductions section
- Scroll down to Tax relief related to COVID-19
- Click edit/update for Self-employment tax deferral
- Select no to deferral. (see image below)
The self-employment tax on that portion can be postponed for payment in the following year. You can postpone that portion of your taxes due with no penalties or interest, if you qualify. If the program is saying you do not qualify, you must be getting a refund.
You might also have a piece of data stuck, you may want to clear cookies and cache or change browsers.
I have tried saying both Yes and No to the inquiry about deferring the SS tax, at different times-- neither removed the error. I tried clearing the cache, history, and cookies as well to my browser. I even tried answering yes for only myself ( my s/s # is used for filing) rather than Both as the filer-- nothing works-- the single error still comes up!! I have tried erasing the 0 entry, tried using a negative number since it says "0 is too large a number in the box"-- nothing works. It is asking for an entry to a box that should not need filled as it states in the steps that I am not eligible for the deferral. I do I clear this "bug"??
Your self-employment income may be eligible for a portion of your self-employment tax to be deferred. See this TurboTax Help.
In TurboTax Online Self-Employed, I was able to enter a self-employment tax deferral and pass Review. Then I was able to remove self-employment tax deferral and pass Review.
Follow these steps.
- Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
- Across the top of the screen, click on Deductions & credits.
- Under Your tax breaks, scroll down to Self-employment tax deferral.
- Click on Edit/Add to the right of Self-employment tax deferral.
- At the screen Do you want more time to pay your self-employment tax?, click Yes.
- At the screen Let's start by getting your eligible income, leave the dollar amount you previously entered.
- Click on Continue.
- At the screen Tell us how much you'd like to defer, change the dollar amount to $0.
- Click Continue.
- Click through Federal Review to make sure than the Review issue has been removed.
- At the screen Some of your self-employment taxes may be eligible, click Skip.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"