Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nattaxes

Social Security - getting screen saying we paid too much Social Security but it is accurate I believe

After entering my W2 and spouse W2 we are getting the following screen:

Congrats! Looks like you're getting some cash back.
    Double-check the amount of Social Security tax to make sure we've got the right amounts. Select Back to make any changes to your forms.
    If these amounts are correct, you're getting back as a credit on your return

Both my wife and I maxed out Social Security income and the maxed out Social Security taxes ($9932.40 each) look correct according to 2023 limits both on max income and max social security tax.  I can't find any evidence on the forms where we are getting any kind of credit but I could missing it.    Perhaps there is a bug with the check on the specific logic that presents that screen after entering W2s where it is not seeing married filing jointly or something but the other places are doing it correctly?
Any assistance would be helpful.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Social Security - getting screen saying we paid too much Social Security but it is accurate I believe

I had a user the other day that had the same issue.  I had him remove the $0.40 from the SS taxes withheld and I believe that solved the problem for them.

If you are filing a joint return make sure you entered each W-2 under the correct spouse's name.   If you enter it all under only one of your names that will mess you up with the Social Security that was withheld.

Check the screens where you entered your W-2's.  There are spots with EACH spouse's name.   Did you enter the W-2's under each name?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
nattaxes

Yes I entered them seperately under our names and social secuirty numbers

nattaxes

That did it!  I removed the 0.40 cents from each W2 and I no longer get the screen.  Thank you!

@nattaxes wrote:

That did it!  I removed the 0.40 cents from each W2 and I no longer get the screen.  Thank you!

Great!! Thanks for letting us know this worked for you.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

There isn't really a problem, and you don't have to do anything. If you each had exactly $9,932.40 Social Security tax withheld, you should not be getting a credit. You should not get the credit if you each had only one employer. The only error is the screen that says you are getting a credit. But the forms that do not show a credit are correct. (If you did get a credit for excess Social Security tax withheld it would be on Schedule 3 line 11.) The error is only in the TurboTax screens, not in your tax return. The incorrect screen does not affect your tax return.

So your tax return is correct. You can just ignore the screen that incorrectly says you are getting a credit. If it really bothers you to see the incorrect screen, you can do what DoninGA suggested and delete the 40 cents from box 4 on each of your W-2s.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies