Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Social Security Benefits repayment

I received social security benefits in 2023 but I repaid those benefits in 2023. Where do I claim the repayment? I do not itemize. I use the standard deduction.   

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, that's quite common.  If you did not select the option for federal withholding, then the Social Security Administration (SSA) does not take any.  You can change your mind and have federal tax withheld in the future. 

A repayment of the same benefits you received in 2023 (received and paid back in the same year) are not taxable. Your SSA-1099 should reflect this.  The following publication discusses the boxes as indicated above and a description of each box on your form. The SSA should have offset your benefits in box 5 by any amount you repaid in 2023 (box 4).

@CortezRL 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Your form SSA-1099 will show the net benefits received in box 5 (box 3 minus box 4).  Your box 5 entry in TurboTax will account for the benefits repaid in 2023 amount (box 4). 

Box 3 shows my benefit plus what I paid back. Box 4 shows what I paid back. So when you subtract box 4 from box 3 I still get the benefit funds that I got paid. Thank you for your answer but it does not help 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You only enter Box 5 and Box 6 (if applicable) in TurboTax; Boxes 3 and 4 do not get entered.   TurboTax will report it correctly.   We'll calculate how much, if any, of your Social Security benefits are taxable.  If your only income is from Social Security, you aren't required to file a return.

Where to enter SSA-1099 - see the entry screen example below. 

Box 6 has none

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, that's quite common.  If you did not select the option for federal withholding, then the Social Security Administration (SSA) does not take any.  You can change your mind and have federal tax withheld in the future. 

A repayment of the same benefits you received in 2023 (received and paid back in the same year) are not taxable. Your SSA-1099 should reflect this.  The following publication discusses the boxes as indicated above and a description of each box on your form. The SSA should have offset your benefits in box 5 by any amount you repaid in 2023 (box 4).

@CortezRL 

They will be sending me a corrected version. This version is going to show a balance on box 5 of "0". 

Thank you to everyone for your comments and answers. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies