TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

Where do I enter an SSA-1099, SSA-1099-SM, or SSA-1099-R-OP1?

by Intuit Updated 2 months ago

Forms SSA-1099, SSA-1099-SM, and SSA-1099-R-OP1 report retirement, disability, and survivor benefits from the Social Security Administration (SSA).

Don't confuse the SSA-1099 with the 1099-R that reports retirement benefits from non-SSA sources like pensions, 401(k)s, and IRAs. 1099-Rs are entered elsewhere in TurboTax.

All SSA-1099 forms get entered in the same place:

  1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the search bar, search for the term Social Security benefits and then select the Jump to link at the top of your search results.
  3. On the screen Did you receive Social Security or Railroad Retirement benefits in 20XX? answer Yes and select Continue.
  4. On the next screen, check the box beside Social Security benefits (Form SSA-1099), then enter the amounts from your form(s) in the boxes provided.
    • If you received multiple SSA-1099s, add up the amounts for each box and enter them together.
    • Don't include SSA-1099s for dependents. Those should be reported on the dependent's return, but only if they are required to file a return (this is uncommon).
  5. Select Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.

We'll calculate how much, if any, of your Social Security benefits are taxable. If your only income is from Social Security, you aren't required to file a return.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads