turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

So frustrated with the lack of help and information around HSA. How did I possibly over contribute to my HSA by $4700 in 2023 and get taxed for that.????d

OPTUM HSA documents that 2023 I put in $3850 and employer put in $700. An over contribution of $4700 would put me above what I've ever had in the HSA.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

So frustrated with the lack of help and information around HSA. How did I possibly over contribute to my HSA by $4700 in 2023 and get taxed for that.????d

If you were under age 55 at the end of 2023, you certainly have a $700 excess contribution based on the contributions that you mentioned.  The source of the other $4,000 of excess that TurboTax is indicating is a mystery that you only be able to solve by looking at the details of Form 8889.  Either you have an excess carried in from a prior year or you've made an HSA contribution entry beyond the $3,850 and $700 that you mentioned.

Also, if you are married, have a family HSA and your spouse also contributed and HSA, there could be and excess contribution when both spouse's contributions are considered together.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Please check back. I'll page @dmertz.

dmertz
Level 15

If you were under age 55 at the end of 2023, you certainly have a $700 excess contribution based on the contributions that you mentioned.  The source of the other $4,000 of excess that TurboTax is indicating is a mystery that you only be able to solve by looking at the details of Form 8889.  Either you have an excess carried in from a prior year or you've made an HSA contribution entry beyond the $3,850 and $700 that you mentioned.

Also, if you are married, have a family HSA and your spouse also contributed and HSA, there could be and excess contribution when both spouse's contributions are considered together.

If you have payroll contributions, they are automatically captured by Turbotax from your W-2.  You do not enter them again later in the program.    All contributions made by payroll deduction are considered "employee contributions" under the law and you should only separately enter contributions that you make directly to the HSA bank out of your own pocket.  

Also, you must answer that you had a qualifying HDHP all year, or at least for the month of December, and no other medical coverage, including FSAs or spouse's insurance.

Your numbers don't quite add up either way, so you may have entered something else incorrectly.  Check your W-2, what is entered in box 12 with a code W next to it?

If you already filed and paid the tax and penalty, you can file an amended return to correct your answers and get a refund.

What does this even mean...make sense in a msg please...

tagteam
Level 15

Please check back. I'll page @dmertz.

11 hours ago

Who is dmertz? Should I check back? What is going on with communications here. The msg above makes ZERO sense to anyone reading it ( unless some weird internal msg)...usually dealing with a customer a CSX say 'Hello' and more helpful things than the garbage above. Who are you...who is DMERTZ?

Intuit TT told me that TT entered the 8889... so reach back and think how I could have adjusted that?! I looked for an hour last night on how I could fix it. I got ZERO help from Intuit. There was one weird little fix screen that mentioned HSA that had ZERO explanation and I put in my last value based upon OPTUM.  There was ZERO input from Intuit on proper path. And now I being told I have to fix it. But given no path by Intuit.

So if I can't get help in 24 hrs i'm blocking payment and going to a real company that respect clients that have been around. Turning into a joke.

@bigorange 

I was paging dmertz (a member of this community who is very knowledgeable in this area) so that he could respond to your question and dmertz, in fact, responded.

Did you not read his post in this thread?

Tell @dmertz I have no clue what his msg before meant. Try https://grammerly.com/ next time.

So whats the resolution here? I payed for Intuit to do something, it's seems to be incorrect and Intuit is telling me I messed up, but doesn't know how? Fill me in please.

Or do you have line 47 issues per this post  -  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/form-5329-line-47-error/00/3207300

I don't really care, just explain and quit the vagauries. 

You should have added this on to your other post to keep it all together.   

@tagteam - I had no context and did not know who you are or what you even meant. Try context when talking to consumer side.

@dmertz - I'm looking for a solution. Not just saying I must have done something wrong. So any concept of what I did wrong? I think that is the point of Intuit and TurboTax - to help.

1- TT loaded the 8889

2- TT created or loaded the 5329

So to help reverse engineer, at what or any point could I have changed either of these that I did not input and could not adjust last nigh? (and your Live Service was not Live.)

@VolvoGirl - huge apologies. 

But I don't really care how many threads I start. Now that I know I'm not actually talking to an actual rep I will try finding a real employee that can actually answer the question.

@bigorange wrote:

@tagteam - I had no context and did not know who you are or what you even meant. Try context when talking to consumer side.

@dmertz - I'm looking for a solution. Not just saying I must have done something wrong. So any concept of what I did wrong? I think that is the point of Intuit and TurboTax - to help.

1- TT loaded the 8889

2- TT created or loaded the 5329

So to help reverse engineer, at what or any point could I have changed either of these that I did not input and could not adjust last nigh? (and your Live Service was not Live.)

No one here can see your tax return.  

What are the numbers on your form 8889? Specifically, 

line 2

line 3

line 6

line 9

line 13

What does your W-2 say in box 12?  There may be several dollar amounts there, we only need to know the amount with a "W" next to it. 

And are you married, are you covered by a single or family HDHP, and if you are married, does your spouse have their own HSA?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies