turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rain22

Showing lapse in HDHP. had our own HDHP, no lapses for either. have both 1095-B forms 2prove. No option 2enter the information. just asks if the lapse was due 2disability

My husband and I each have our own HDHP, neither of which lapsed in 2018. I have both 1095-B forms to prove it. 

In entering our information, I got a notice from Turbo tax that says:

Did Cameron's High Deductible Health Plan coverage lapse in 2018 due to disability?

We see Cameron had a break in HDHP health plan coverage during  2018. Let us know if this was the result of a disability .
+ Yes, the coverage ended due to disability.
+ No, the coverage ended for other reasons.

This is the only options there are. There is no option to enter our 1095-B information or make corrections. 

Please advise on how to correct. 
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Showing lapse in HDHP. had our own HDHP, no lapses for either. have both 1095-B forms 2prove. No option 2enter the information. just asks if the lapse was due 2disability

Are you referring to the "lapse in coverage" message that you immediately see after the question "What type of HDHP coverage did you have on December 1, 2017?"

This is a poorly worded question that really wants to know if you took advantage of the last-month rule in 2017. This lapse message happens either to taxpayers who don't have an HSA and didn't realize that this question didn't apply to them (so you should answer "None"), or had HDHP coverage but no personal HSA (probably your situation), so never had the chance to tell TurboTax in the interview that they had HDHP coverage in 2018 (only the taxpayer who has an HSA answers those questions).

If the taxpayer who got this message does not have an HSA (even if he/she has HDHP coverage), then read the following:

So for each of you who does not have an HSA:

• if you (or your spouse) were covered under an HDHP for every month in 2017 or
  • if you (or your spouse) were covered under an HDHP in every month of 2018 or
  • if you (or your spouse) made no HSA contributions in 2017 at all or
  • if you (or your spouse) never had in 2017 or 2018 any HDHP coverage

then you (whichever of you) should enter "None" for the 12/1/2017 answer even if you were covered, because this last-month question doesn't apply to you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies