Should I mark a property "sold or disclosed" if it...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I mark a property "sold or disclosed" if it was foreclosed? Not sure if "the entire interest in this property was disposed of in a fully taxable transaction."

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I mark a property "sold or disclosed" if it was foreclosed? Not sure if "the entire interest in this property was disposed of in a fully taxable transaction."

you should consult a real estate attorney who can best advise you.  

Each state has laws that govern the foreclosure process, including the notices a lender must post publicly, the owner's options for bringing the loan current and avoiding foreclosure, and the timeline and process for selling the property.

Level 15

Normally, a foreclosure is treated as a sale.  You "sold" the property to the bank, and the price is the amount the bank realized at auction (which might have left you with a deficiency of course.)

It sounds like this was business property, since I don't think that question will come up for the sale or foreclosure of a personal home.  If this was business property, you may owe recapture tax on depreciation you previously took, even if the property was foreclosed at a loss.  You may want professional tax advice.  

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings