Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I enter a State Refund somewhere?

In 2022, I got a refund from 2021 NY State Taxes.  Should that be entered somewhere as "income" or something in the 2022 forms?  It seems like I used to have to do that, but I don't see a place for it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you used itemized deductions for your 2021 federal return you need to enter the amount of the state refund you received.  If you used standard deduction for your 2021 federal return you do not enter the state refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

A State Tax Refund is taxable if you itemized deductions on that prior year's federal return and took a deduction for state income taxes instead of the sales tax. You got a deduction benefit for it so now you have to include it as income. If you took the Standard Deduction it is not taxable and you don't need to report it.

To enter a state refund just type 1099-G or 1099-g (with the dash) in the search box at the top of your return and click on Jump To it.

OR Enter the 1099G under
Federal on the left side
Wages & Income at the top

Scroll down to Other Common Income
You might need click on Show More to expand the section

Then it's the first line for Refunds Received for State/Local Tax Returns - Click Start or Revisit
You do not want the next line that says Other 1099G Income

On the first screen check YES - Received a State Refund.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

If you used itemized deductions for your 2021 federal return you need to enter the amount of the state refund you received.  If you used standard deduction for your 2021 federal return you do not enter the state refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

But the question is, WHERE would I enter that?

And as I look closer at what this refund check is, it was actually a "2022 Homeowner Tax Rebate" and not a refund.  But the same questions is, "Where would I enter that?"

Homeowner tax rebate is not the same thing as a state income tax refund.   You are not going to enter that anywhere on your 2022 federal tax return.

A State Tax Refund is taxable if you itemized deductions on that prior year's federal return and took a deduction for state income taxes instead of the sales tax. You got a deduction benefit for it so now you have to include it as income. If you took the Standard Deduction it is not taxable and you don't need to report it.

To enter a state refund just type 1099-G or 1099-g (with the dash) in the search box at the top of your return and click on Jump To it.

OR Enter the 1099G under
Federal on the left side
Wages & Income at the top

Scroll down to Other Common Income
You might need click on Show More to expand the section

Then it's the first line for Refunds Received for State/Local Tax Returns - Click Start or Revisit
You do not want the next line that says Other 1099G Income

On the first screen check YES - Received a State Refund.

Ok, that answers the question for the refund and why I couldn't find the place.  The check is NOT a 1099-G.  I thought it was a refund, but it is just a "2022 Homeowner Tax Rebate".  So I'm not sure where that might go.  I haven't started the State part of Turbotax yet.  I just found this rebate check and was trying to figure out where it would go in the Federal part.  Probably it doesn't go in that part, but in the State somewhere.  If you know, let me know.  Otherwise, I'll just continue on to the State part of Turbotax and see if it shows up there somewhere.

You are right, it is not the same thing.  I think I will start a new question just asking about the homeowner rebate.  Bing Chat suggested:

"The amount of your homeowner tax rebate should be reduced from your property taxes shown in the “Ded...."

... time passes ...

Oh, I see that Bing Chat result above was actually a hyperlink and that post seemed to ask my question and the answer to that post seems to make sense so I'll take that path.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies