Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Self-employed mileage - can I deduct mileage to get gas

I'm self-employed. I can deduct mileage for business and gas. But can I deduct the mileage to buy the gas? For some reason, I never thought about that until now.

Thanks,

Stephanie

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You cannot deduct mileage and gas. The standard mileage rate includes the cost of gas.

With some restrictions, you generally have a choice of deducting either the standard mileage rate or your actual car expenses. To deduct actual expenses you would have to keep records of all your car expenses: gas, maintenance and repairs, loan payments, depreciation, etc. The standard mileage rate includes all costs of operating the car.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You cannot deduct mileage and gas. The standard mileage rate includes the cost of gas.

With some restrictions, you generally have a choice of deducting either the standard mileage rate or your actual car expenses. To deduct actual expenses you would have to keep records of all your car expenses: gas, maintenance and repairs, loan payments, depreciation, etc. The standard mileage rate includes all costs of operating the car.

I didn't think so. Probably why I never thought about it.

If you leave your place of business to go to a client's place of business  and you happen to get gas along the way then that mileage is included in the business miles.  Same goes if this is 100% a business use vehicle since it is only used for business.    But if you use the vehicle personally and  you get gas on the way to the office then that is personal miles not business miles.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies