Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What does "Foreign source amount included in dividends" mean in Box 6d of the Form 1099=DIV Worksheet? And where do I finds the information?

What does "Foreign source amount included in dividends" mean in Box 6d of the Form 1099-DIV Worksheet? And where do I find the information?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

58 Replies

What does "Foreign source amount included in dividends" mean in Box 6d of the Form 1099=DIV Worksheet? And where do I finds the information?

I called TurboTax and they told me to put 0 in the field when it asks for foreign source. I don't feel like this is correct, but I also don't have anything listed on my 1099-DIV for that type of field. Does anyone know for sure if putting 0 would cause my filing to be incorrect or not?
gwviar

I haven't called TT yet but from all that i have read online about the subject entering a zero seems to be the fix but I would also like to know if this is the correct fix. I dont want something coming back on me later on about it. I am in the process of doing a 1040X now to add some late 1099 forms i got in the mail on February 23 and i dont want to have to do another one to correct this foreign source problem!

If the 1099-DIV has a box 6 foreign tax then you should enter the portion of box 1 that generated the foreign tax.  Often that will be the box 1 amount if all the foreign tax came from the same source but in the case of some mutual funds only a portion of box 1 will be what generated the foreign tax.     Most brokers list the foreign tax and  the source of that tax somewhere in the composite statements that they send.   

That question should have been asked at the end the of the 1099-DIV interview but it does not until the error check finds the missing information.  After entering it in the error check, you can return to the 1099-DIV interview to see the missing screen and go to the 1116 interview to claim the credit.

Entering a zero might satisfy the error, but a zero will not allow you to get a credit for the foreign tax paid in the form 1116 interview that either makes it a Schedule A deduction or a tax credit on the 1040 form line 48.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
mkent333

It's asking for the sum of your dividends that were foreign source. Look through the 1099-DIV detail and aggregate the dividends paid that were foreign. Zero is probably not correct if you paid foreign taxes.
ciarmer
Returning Member

TurboTax update R21 (March 14) to fixed this issue on my return. The 1099-Div Worksheet now acts properly and doesn't ask for an entry for line "d" in box 6 if the box on line "a" is checked (opting for deducting foreign taxes on Schedule A). No longer a need to enter a zero on line "d" if you opt for Schedule A treatment.

The answer from TurboTax is correct in most cases. Enter '0' for line 6 D (2017) or 7 D (2018). If you are trying to deduct Foreign Taxes paid using Form 1116 often this is because you had a mutual fund that invest in foreign stocks however per Vanguard 1099 small print,

"U.S. mutual funds that invest in foreign securities may elect to pass certain foreign taxes paid by the fund on to their shareholders on IRS Form 1099-DIV; however, because the funds are U.S. corporations, the dividends paid by the funds are considered U.S. source dividends."

Thus '0' is the correct answer!

New for 2017 is the following flaw: If there is an entry in 1099-DIV box 6, TT will immediately and incorrectly require an entry in box 6d and will mark it as an error until an amount is entered.  Box 6d is “the foreign source amount included in dividends.”  If F1116 is filled out, there is a screen to input that amount which TT will insert into box 6d and thus clear the error.  If F1116 is not filled out because the user elects to use the exemption or the deduction, then bring up the 1099-DIV worksheet and type a zero into box 6d to remove the error.

I chose tax credit for the foreign tax paid.  No F1116 was created. That form says not to enter data directly on it.  I don't understand what to do to get around this error.  Please - This needs to be fixed ASAP.

Are you in the foreign tax credit interview?
benfowl

Having same issue.
nr237

I just entered zero as rogge1722 suggested. It let me proceed and did not alter my payment due amounts.

The same problem... entered a 1099-DIV with a Box 6 amount, but it is for a broad-based mutual fund with no 6d information.

Same here. I took a credit and need to enter something in 6d.

TT is tripping me up with this same issue.  Thanks for having the "enter 0" solution, but before I file it would be nice to have some sort of official confirmation that this solution is not shortchanging us in any way.  I am taking the credit and am under the $600 filing-jointly limit.  Looking forward to any confirmation TT can provide...
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies