Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sales of precious metal with unavailable original purchase records.

I purchased gold several years ago.  I do not have any records of the purchase.  I know roughly what I paid and roughly when I acquired it but, again, I have no available records of this purchase as I purchased with cash many years ago.  I recently sold the gold for a small profit.  How do file this on my taxes.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It can be filed under an investment sale in TurboTax. Use the information you have to enter your informtion.  You can use a 'V' for date acquired which means various.  Be sure to select long term for the holding period since it's been more than one year you have owned the gold.

Physical holdings in precious metals such as gold, silver, platinum, palladium, and titanium are considered by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to be capital assets specifically classified as collectibles.

To record your sale/redemption in TurboTax Online as follows:

1. Open your TurboTax Return > Search ( upper right) > type collectibles > Click the Jump to... link
  2. Add More Sales > Select Other > Continue 
  3. Enter the information about your sale on the screen 'Tell us more about this sale' type Gold
  4. Select Collectible as the type > I purchased it > Description
  5. Select Something other than a date > Select Various
  6. Enter the selling price, date and cost information for this screen then select Done > 
  7. Review the next screen and when finished select Continue
  8. See the images below for assistance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It can be filed under an investment sale in TurboTax. Use the information you have to enter your informtion.  You can use a 'V' for date acquired which means various.  Be sure to select long term for the holding period since it's been more than one year you have owned the gold.

Physical holdings in precious metals such as gold, silver, platinum, palladium, and titanium are considered by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to be capital assets specifically classified as collectibles.

To record your sale/redemption in TurboTax Online as follows:

1. Open your TurboTax Return > Search ( upper right) > type collectibles > Click the Jump to... link
  2. Add More Sales > Select Other > Continue 
  3. Enter the information about your sale on the screen 'Tell us more about this sale' type Gold
  4. Select Collectible as the type > I purchased it > Description
  5. Select Something other than a date > Select Various
  6. Enter the selling price, date and cost information for this screen then select Done > 
  7. Review the next screen and when finished select Continue
  8. See the images below for assistance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies