Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PStomski

roofing shingles

I am a resident of Hawaii.  Can I claim a credit or deduction for the material cost of new, energy efficient shingles used when I re-roofed my house in 2023? These new shingles are light color and reflect solar.

None of the cost of reroofing (materials or labor) was covered by insurance.

Does it matter if I itemize or just take the standard deduction?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

roofing shingles

If you qualify, the energy credits are separate from whether or not you use the standard deduction.

Specific mention of roofing systems were removed from the tax credit.  Instead, the credit now says a building envelope component is "any insulation material or system, including air sealing material or system, which is specifically and primarily designed to reduce the heat loss or gain of a dwelling unit when installed in or on such dwelling unit."  And it must meet the "prescriptive criteria for such component established by the most recent International Energy Conservation Code standard in effect as of the beginning of the calendar year which is 2 years prior to the calendar year in which such component is placed in service."

That means that your roofing system must be specifically and primarily designed to reduce heat loss or gain, and it must meet or exceed the standard published by the IECC for 2021.  I don't even know if the IECC has a standard for roofs, you would need to check the IECC web site, or contact the shingle manufacturer or installer.

It also must be installed on your principal residence.  A second home doesn't qualify for this particular credit. 

If you believe you qualify, you would list it in the program under "insulation material or system."  Only the cost of the materials is eligible, not labor or installation.  If you don't know this you will need to make a "reasonable allocation" of the costs.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies