Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jvd13290
Returning Member

RMD Qualified Disaster Deduction

I am preparing my 2023 Turbo Taxes.  A question appears asking me if I used part of my 2023 RMD for a Qualified Disaster Deduction????  When I did my 2022 Taxes I had to take out an extra $15,141.89 from IRA to cover hurricane IAN damages in 2022.  Why did this question NOT APPEAR while doing my 2022 Turbo taxes????  Can I check the box now on my 2023 taxes for retroactively taken the money in 2022???  Is this a Turbo TAX ERROR??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

No, you cannot report a 2022 distribution on your 2023 tax return.

Were you taxed on the IRA distribution you took in 2022? If so, you may wish to amend your return to adjust your taxable income. (How do I amend my federal tax return for a prior year?)

Be sure to review your 2022 tax return first, to be sure the IRA distribution was included in your taxable income last year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jvd13290
Returning Member

Definitely a Turbo Tax programming error.  Help desk ticket # [phone number removed] cost me $3000 on my 2022 tax return.  I was on the phone with a Turbo expert for over an hour......the program is still not fixed and I cannot amend my return without the program being amended........Will Turbo tax refund my money that has been lost........I doubt it.  The guarantee for accuracy covers the cost of the program....$60, not the lost refund that their error cost me?????????  Not worth the aggravation or effort as all of my e mails sent to them to complain about the program are coming back to my in box as UNDERLIVERABLE???????  What a gimmick.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies