Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

RelaxAtHume
Returning Member

Required minimum distribution rmd paid directly to charity - where to show charitable payment?

For some reason, I do not see these screens after entering the RMD. 

Required minimum distribution rmd paid directly to charity - where to show charitable payment?

@RelaxAtHume wrote:

For some reason, I do not see these screens after entering the RMD. 

Is the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box checked on your 1099-R?

Are you using the online or desktop version?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
RelaxAtHume
Returning Member

Yes, the box is checked and I am using the desktop version. 

I saw another post that recommended change my birthdate in personal info so that I could see the boxes to make the entry, and then changed my birthdate back.  But when I try to file the return, TurboTax brings me back to that entry for QCD on the 1099-R and won't let me submit the return!!

RelaxAtHume
Returning Member

I should clarify that I inherited the IRA from my mother who was born in 1921, so its my understanding that the RMD to QCD should qualify, even though I am personally just under 70 1/2.  

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

To do a QCD from an inherited IRA you, the beneficiary,  must be 70 ½ or older.  That's the reason you are not seeing the screens pertaining to a QCD in TurboTax.

Please see these discussions and articles:

@RelaxAtHume

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies