Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reporting Self employed health insurance premium on a disregarded entity with 2 members (husband and wife)

My spouse and I have a 50-50 ownership of a 2-member LLC (disregarded entity) in CA. We split all income/expenses into 2 separate Schedule Cs, SEs and maximize our solo 401Ks. How should we report self employed health insurance premiums? Should the premiums be split between the two Schedule Cs as well? Turbo Tax seems to warn about the insurance premium being attributable to just one business.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Reporting Self employed health insurance premium on a disregarded entity with 2 members (husband and wife)

The minimalist IRS Instructions (Schedule C) in reference to community property states where both spouses own and work in the business and the business qualifies to be treated as a disregarded entity state:

"If both spouses participate, the income and deductions are allocated to the spouses based on their distributive shares." (see https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sc.pdf)

Just allocate the premiums on the same basis as you allocated all your other income and expenses.

"TurboTax seems to warn about the insurance premium being attributable to just one business." I am not sure where the warning is, but I suspect that it is in reference to a taxpayer owning more than one business, not a disregarded entity co-owned by two spouses. After all, you really have only one business, which is being reported artificially so that both spouses get their due credit for Social Security and Medicare taxes (Sch SE). Otherwise, one spouse would be working but not getting any SS credits for retirement.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The minimalist IRS Instructions (Schedule C) in reference to community property states where both spouses own and work in the business and the business qualifies to be treated as a disregarded entity state:

"If both spouses participate, the income and deductions are allocated to the spouses based on their distributive shares." (see https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sc.pdf)

Just allocate the premiums on the same basis as you allocated all your other income and expenses.

"TurboTax seems to warn about the insurance premium being attributable to just one business." I am not sure where the warning is, but I suspect that it is in reference to a taxpayer owning more than one business, not a disregarded entity co-owned by two spouses. After all, you really have only one business, which is being reported artificially so that both spouses get their due credit for Social Security and Medicare taxes (Sch SE). Otherwise, one spouse would be working but not getting any SS credits for retirement.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies