turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CharlieL
Returning Member

Reporting of previously disallowed QBI losses

I am getting this error when checking the Schedule E Workshop, Qualified Business Income Deduction Smart Worksheet:

"Link to QBI Wksht should be linked to an independent copy of QBI worksheet with no other activities linked to it."

I don't understand how to fix it. If TurboTax didn't generate the worksheet, how do I get something to link to? I feel like this is probably not an issue - I have all the documentation for the tax filing itself. So, two questions -- 1) can I fix this, and 2) does it matter?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

More information may help resolve your issue.  For example, what version of TurboTax are you using (Online or Download/CD); is that reference to "QBI Component wkst"; what is the source of the income being reported on Schedule E (Schedule E rental property or K-1); do you have a source(s) of QBI other than this activity; and what is the relevance of the "previously disallowed QBI losses" phrase in your subject line?

The issue may be related to using a single QBI Component worksheet for multiple QBI activities.  Depending on which version of TurboTax you are using, you can look at the QBI Component worksheet(s) in Forms mode (Download/CD) or a PDF of your tax return with all the worksheets (Online, see Tax Tools>>Print Center in left menu panel).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

each schedule e page 1 worksheet  - ie rental income has a QBI section. in forms mode, you have to scroll down to that section.  since QBI began in 2018 you would enter the loss as a negative. it's in the "passive limits" section of the form.

similarly for k-1's from partnerships, S-Corps, and Trusts, the k-1, reported on page 2 of schedule E input worksheet also has a section for each QBI loss carryforward from 2018 but the entry is the Qualified Business Income Carryovers section.  similarly, loss c/o are entered as negatives. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies