Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Relocating for work Jan 2018. Employer is paying a sum on 12/31/17 for expenses. I understand this income is taxable. Can I still deduct moving expenses on 2017 taxes?

I started working for this employer at the end of November 2017. At that time, we agreed I would relocate (across country) for the job as soon as reasonably possible. In December, we sold our home (closing in January) and purchased a new one (also closing in January) and are physically moving on January 5th, 2018. 

From what I understand, moving expenses will no longer be deductible starting in 2018. Am I just out of luck here or can I still deduct moving expenses because this was all in motion (and documented via my offer letter from the new employer) in 2017? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Relocating for work Jan 2018. Employer is paying a sum on 12/31/17 for expenses. I understand this income is taxable. Can I still deduct moving expenses on 2017 taxes?

Only if the moving expenses was paid before the end of December, sounds like you will have to wait until next year to get your moving deduction.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies