cwilliams233

Relocating for work Jan 2018. Employer is paying a sum on 12/31/17 for expenses. I understand this income is taxable. Can I still deduct moving expenses on 2017 taxes?

I started working for this employer at the end of November 2017. At that time, we agreed I would relocate (across country) for the job as soon as reasonably possible. In December, we sold our home (closing in January) and purchased a new one (also closing in January) and are physically moving on January 5th, 2018. 

From what I understand, moving expenses will no longer be deductible starting in 2018. Am I just out of luck here or can I still deduct moving expenses because this was all in motion (and documented via my offer letter from the new employer) in 2017? 

chavez9994260

Only if the moving expenses was paid before the end of December, sounds like you will have to wait until next year to get your moving deduction.