turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rejected based on form 2441

Background: I am the custodial parent to my daughter but her father is claiming her as the dependent this year. As the custodial parent, I can still claim EIC and child care expense like day care. I have this marked correctly in Personal Info (it has her information but labeled as 'non-dependent/ EIC child care credit only'). When I get to the deductions part where Child Care is located, I enter in all the day care expenses, etc. I have verified with both my ex-husband and his tax attorney that they did not claim these, only claimed her as a dependent. 

I continually am getting rejected from the IRS with the description of error reading: "Form 2441, Child Care Expenses, Part II, Line 2(b) each 'Qualifying Person SSN' provided must not be the same as the 'Qualifying Person SSN' in another accepted tax return for the same tax year'. I hit the "Revisit" button that TurboTax has and it does not take me any where to fix this.

Does anyone know in lame person terms, what I need to fix? Everywhere I am reading it says that even though I am not claiming her as a dependent this year, I am still able to claim the EIC and child care expenses as I am her custodial parent.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct that as the Custodial Parent you can claim the EIC and Child Care Expenses, even though you give the Dependent Exemption to the other parent.

Be sure you are filing as Head of Household.

You can try requesting Phone Support or the IRS to resolve your issue, but you may end up having to mail in your return.

Click this link for more info on Reject Code for Child Care

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct that as the Custodial Parent you can claim the EIC and Child Care Expenses, even though you give the Dependent Exemption to the other parent.

Be sure you are filing as Head of Household.

You can try requesting Phone Support or the IRS to resolve your issue, but you may end up having to mail in your return.

Click this link for more info on Reject Code for Child Care

Thank you! I think my best bet is to contact IRS since it seems to be incorrect to be getting rejected. 

(I am listed as Head of Household).

Thank you again, Marilyn.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

My pleasure!

Anonymous
Not applicable

call the IRS.  the error may be due to your ex  having incorrect info on his return 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies