Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jtain91etsin99
Returning Member

Regarding mileage deduction for charity, but various addresses for the same organization through the year?

My question is not whether I can or where to do it, it's how? 

The charity that volunteer with I went to various places throughout the year, 18 trips and probably 10 different places. It's not the same place every time. So do I add up the miles driven and divide by the # of trip to mak an average? Or do I need to do every address separately? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Regarding mileage deduction for charity, but various addresses for the same organization through the year?

Do you have a log of the total mileage or a way of calculating it?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jtain91etsin99
Returning Member

Yes, I receive emails for each event I sign up for, with an address in the email, so I have all the addresses. And then I got list of all the events I was at from the organization.  So I just put the addresses into mapquest to get the milage. I didn't print the emails but I can, but the email of log from the organization does show all of the events and dates.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

For the charity mileage deduction, you only need to enter the total number of miles you drove for the charities.  You do not need to show a running or itemized amounts (keep those for your personal records if the IRS were to ask).  The total miles are multiplied by the standard mileage rate for the deduction ($0.14/mile)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies