turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CJTurner

Refunded VA funding fees

Recently received a refund from the VA for funding fees due to a disability claim that was originally filed prior to closing 7 years ago. I would like to know if part of this money counts as income that will need to be filed or is this tax free income? I plan on paying toward principle of the mortgage but would like to set taxable amount aside if necessary. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
maglib
Level 11

Refunded VA funding fees

If you had used those fees as itemized deductions in the year you took out the loan then those fees would now be considered income if you had received any taxable benefit for the deduction. The VA loan funding fee was entirely tax deductible. Since it is a form of mortgage insurance, you could have taken entire amount you pay as a deduction on your annual income taxes.  

So if you had itemized and received a tax benefit for VA funding fees in the year, then yes they would be includable as income.  If you had taken a standard deduction that year, then NO they would not be.  To ascertain the tax benefit you would have to go back to the year of the loan and recalculate your return and see if the entire amount benefitted you.  

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

Refunded VA funding fees

So, if the fee was used as an itemized deduction in the year it was paid, what's the burden?  Shouldn't it just be to file an amended return for that year (removing the deducted amount and paying the difference) vice paying tax on (all) the refunded amount as income in the year it was received?   How does one calculate and explain it?

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Refunded VA funding fees

For individuals, taxes are completed based on transactions in the year incurred, such as the year the cash is paid or the year cash is received. For example, if you took a deduction is tax year 2012 and received a refund in 2019, you would leave the deduction in 2012 and claim income separately in 2019. You must claim it as income in the year received because you received a tax benefit on the deduction in a prior year. To enter this in TurboTax Online, follow the following steps:

1. Under Federal, click on Wages & Income
  2. Expand the options in Less Common Income, and click Start/Revisit next to Miscellaneous Income
  3. Next to Other reportable income, click Start/Revisit
  4. Answer Yes to the question Any Other Taxable Income
  5. Enter a description and the corresponding dollar amount and click Continue
  6. Click Done

You will find this income reported on line 8 of Schedule 1 and carried over onto the 1040 on line 7a. This gets added to all other income on your return and taxed at the ordinary income rate for your filing status and income level.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies