turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Refinance Origination Fee deductible?

Hi,

I know this kind of question has been asked again and again. But because of terminologies, it is still not clear to me if origination fee is deductible. So I know points in refinance is deductible. But in my case, I do not pay points. Still in the Closing Disclosure, there is a dollar amount of origination fee. I am curious if this is deductible?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Yes. From Rocketlawyer:

You can deduct mortgage interest— such as home loan origination fees, maximum loan charges, and loan discounts— through the point system. One point equals 1% of your mortgage loan amount.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

They are the same thing as points.

Mortgage points paid

If you paid "points" when you refinanced your mortgage, you may be able to deduct them. Points are prepaid interest; you pay them upfront to get a lower interest rate during the period when you're repaying the loan. One point equals 1% of the loan amount, so if you paid 2 points on a $100,000 loan, for example, you would have paid $2,000. Points sometimes go by other names, including:

• Loan origination fee
  • Maximum loan charge
  • Discount points
  • Loan discount

Points paid as part of a mortgage refinance usually must be deducted over the life of the loan. If you refinanced to a 15-year mortgage, for example, then you'd deduct a portion of the points each year for 15 years. This is different from points paid when you first bought the home; points on an original purchase can often be deducted in full in the year they're paid.

Thanks for your prompt detailed answers, @ColeenD3 .

Just to clarify, I did not pay points to lower my interest rate (as advertised as no points by lender). So this origination fee still counted as "points"?  

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Yes. From Rocketlawyer:

You can deduct mortgage interest— such as home loan origination fees, maximum loan charges, and loan discounts— through the point system. One point equals 1% of your mortgage loan amount.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies