Recovery rebate tax credit owed child support

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

I had a baby in 2020 so I have to file the recovery rebate credit to get the stimulus.Will the money I get be offset for back support?
6 Replies
Employee Tax Expert

The first stimulus payment ($500 per child) may be offset for child support.

The second stimulus payment ($600 par child) cannot be offset for child support.

@kaylajarvi

[Edited 01/14/2021  10:49 AM PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 15

The round 2 payment is not subject to offset, the round 1 payment is.  If you are eligible for the full $1800 for a newborn dependent, then up to $1200 from round 1 is possibly subject to offset. 

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
Level 1

Ok thank you so much!

Level 1

So the same rule applies to the recovery rebate credit that I have to file on my taxes?Whether it was the stimulus or rebate credit its the same?

Level 15

@kaylajarvi wrote:

So the same rule applies to the recovery rebate credit that I have to file on my taxes?Whether it was the stimulus or rebate credit its the same?

Yes, for round 2.  Line 30 of form 1040 does not differentiate between the payments, but the information is in the worksheets and presumably the IRS will be able to use the information to determine how much of your line 30 claim applies to round 2. 

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
Level 1

Thank you so much!Ive trying to find this answer everywhere.I even called the irs but they told me to ask a tax expert.God bless you for your time.

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings