Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Recovery rebate tax credit owed child support

I had a baby in 2020 so I have to file the recovery rebate credit to get the stimulus.Will the money I get be offset for back support?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

The first stimulus payment ($500 per child) may be offset for child support.

The second stimulus payment ($600 par child) cannot be offset for child support.

@kaylajarvi

[Edited 01/14/2021  10:49 AM PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The round 2 payment is not subject to offset, the round 1 payment is.  If you are eligible for the full $1800 for a newborn dependent, then up to $1200 from round 1 is possibly subject to offset. 

Ok thank you so much!

So the same rule applies to the recovery rebate credit that I have to file on my taxes?Whether it was the stimulus or rebate credit its the same?

@kaylajarvi wrote:

So the same rule applies to the recovery rebate credit that I have to file on my taxes?Whether it was the stimulus or rebate credit its the same?

Yes, for round 2.  Line 30 of form 1040 does not differentiate between the payments, but the information is in the worksheets and presumably the IRS will be able to use the information to determine how much of your line 30 claim applies to round 2. 

Thank you so much!Ive trying to find this answer everywhere.I even called the irs but they told me to ask a tax expert.God bless you for your time.

I'm not sure if you have yet had your hopes prayers and wishes completely crushed and destroyed by the BS loophole Recovery Rebate Credit Refund is not protected from Offsets and infact all including my going on 2 year olds stimulus payments (RRCR) ALL EVERY PENNY WAS OFFSET.! MEAN COME ON MY BABY WAS PENALIZED AND PUNISHED AND TAKEN FROM MADE TO PAY MY OWED CHILD SUPPORT FOR MY CHILDREN HER HALF SIBLINGS..SHE DIDNT OWE THEM, SHE ISN'T THE PARENT SO WHY WAS IT ALLOWED?? THIS IS JUST RIDICULOUS. I PAID MONTHLY ON TIME UNTIL THIS BS PANDEMIC AND DID MY BEST TO CONTINUE PAYING ANY AMOUNT POSSIBLE..THEY REALLY HAVE PERFECTED KICKING A PERSON WHILE DOWN. 

The thread you posted to was from early January where the information on the recovery rebate credit was not yet widely known yet ... the truth is that any credit on line 30 of the form 1040 can and will be used to pay off any back taxes owed and  any offsets on the IRS system like child support.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies