Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ctburns

Received Recovery Rebate for my child. Child turned 17 in Nov 2020. Can I manually enter the Rebate of $500 and $600? My rebate was less then maximum for credit.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Received Recovery Rebate for my child. Child turned 17 in Nov 2020. Can I manually enter the Rebate of $500 and $600? My rebate was less then maximum for credit.

Manually enter the amount of stimulus payment you received in TurboTax, on the Did you get a stimulus payment? screen . TurboTax will calculate then add the difference (if any) to your income tax return based on eligibility. See the eligibility requirements below. 

Per TurboTax FAQIf you don’t receive the correct amount of stimulus payment, you claim the Recovery Rebate Credit when you file your 2020 taxes and it will provide the same amount of payment as the stimulus would have. TurboTax will guide you through this to make sure you get every dollar you deserve.

• We suggest that you save your IRS letter-Notice 1444 which is mailed after the IRS provides you with a stimulus payment. You can use that info when you file your 2020 return to make sure you’ve received the amount you deserve. If your stimulus payments weren’t correct, you may receive the funds as a credit which can add to your refund.

Eligibility: If your adjusted gross income (AGI) is below,

• $75,000 for individuals
  • $112,500 for heads of household
  • $150,000 for married, joint filers

You should receive $600 per individual plus $600 per qualifying child.

For filers with income above those amounts, the payment amount is reduced by $5 for each $100 above the $75,000/$112,500/$150,000 thresholds. This means:

• An individual without children will not receive any payment if their AGI exceeds $87,000.
  • A couple without children will not receive any payment if their AGI exceeds $174,000.
  • A family of four will not receive any payment if their AGI exceeds $198,000.

You can find your 2019 AGI on line 8b of your Form 1040.

2020 TT Online Where to enter stimulus.png

[Edited 1-29-2021|11:40 am PST added screenshot where to manually enter stimulus payments]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you have been to the recovery rebate page and are not seeing the rebate, you should not enter it manually.  You can't do a direct manual entry on the forms in Turbotax online anyway, and making a manual override in the desktop version voids the guarantees and may cause other problems.  The IRS would take it off anyway if you don't qualify.

If you have been to the rebate page and are not seeing what you expect, there may be a problem with your dependents.  Your dependent must be under age 19, must have a social security number, must live in your home more than half the year, and you can't be releasing the dependent claim to another parent due to a divorce or custody order.  Remember also that the rebate phases out at higher income (over $75,000 for single or HOH and over $150,000 for married filing jointly).  And lastly, if you are claiming the same number of dependents, you don't get a new credit if one of the dependents is different. The credit is based on the number of dependents, not who they are, and if you changed the identity of the dependents but not their number, you won't get an additional credit.

Can you clarify your situation?  Why are you wanting to enter $500 and $600?

You said your child turned age 17, so the final credit calculated on your return would NOT include that child.

You also said you received less than the 'maximum', and DID receive a credit for the child (who turned age 17 in 2020).  Although you won't need to 'pay back' the credit that you received for the child, that amount that you received would still be used for determining your final credit (which does not include a credit for that child).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies