Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gbabies-3

Why wouldn’t I get earned income credit

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Did you have income earned from working?  Are you 25 or older, or if under 25-- do you have a dependent child?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899157-what-are-the-qualifications-for-the-earned-income-credit-e...

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/use-the-eitc-assistant

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
sweetie50593
Returning Member

do you need a dependent to qualify for EIC? i noticed I didnt get it which is disqualifying me from the Working families tax credit. I meet all the qualifications but do not have any children or dependents

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

No, you do not have to have a dependent to qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit, but there are additional requirements if you don't.

Please check the list of requirements (below) to confirm your eligibility, and revisit the interview to make sure you entered your information accurately. After completing the EIC interview, the program will tell you if you qualify and why you don't. See screenshots at bottom for aid in navigation.

To qualify for and claim the Earned Income Credit you must:

• Have earned incomeand
  • Have been a U.S. citizen or resident alien for the entire tax year; and
  • Have a valid Social Security number (not an ITIN) for yourself, your spouse (if filing jointly), and any qualifying children on your return; and
  • Not have investment income exceeding $3,650; and
  • Not be filing a Form 2555 or 2555-EZ; and
  • File a return with the Single, Married Filing Jointly, Head of Household, or Qualifying Widower filing status, even if you're not required to file a return.

In addition, both your earned income and Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) may not exceed:

• $15,820 if you're not claiming a qualifying child ($21,710 if filing jointly);
  • $41,756 if you're claiming 1 qualifying child ($47,646 if filing jointly);
  • $47,440 if you're claiming 2 qualifying children ($53,330 if filing jointly);
  • $50,954 if you're claiming 3+ qualifying children ($56,844 if filing jointly).

If you're not claiming a qualifying child:

• You (or your jointly filing spouse) must have been born on or after January 1, 1956; and
  • You (or your jointly filing spouse) must have been born on or before December 31, 1995; and
  • You (and your jointly filing spouse) cannot be claimed as a qualifying child or dependent on anyone else's return.

sweetie50593
Returning Member

thank you! I made more then the 15k for a single person no dependants! which explains why i didnt get the working families tax credit of $600 from my state as well! okay makes sense now i know not to wait for it ! thanks 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies