turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wrwbear

Why is my QBI deduction so low compared to 20% of my business net income?

The QBI calculated by TT is only $236.  Yet, my total taxable income (MFJ) is $100,534 and my schedule C business net income is $10,372.  Reviewing the QBI Form 8995 worksheet from IRS, I would seem to qualify for 20% of the $10,372, give or take other minor subtractions from net income.  So, I think QBI deduction should be around $2,000 not $236.

All of my gross income is coming from a Form 1099-NEC.  Should my customer have used 1099-MISC instead?  Perhaps that might be the problem?

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

No, your income was correctly reported on Form 1099-NEC.

The 20% QBI deduction calculation compares the difference between 20% of the QBI (your Schedule C net income, minus any other deductions attributable to your Schedule C income, which encompasses deductions such as the solo 401K deduction, Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction attributable to the business, and 1/2 of SE tax being deducted on your return) and 20% of your taxable income.

wrwbear

Thanks.  I think I see it now.  I was going by the Schedule C net income and didn't understand that this figure would be further reduced by the self-employed health insurance deduction, which really shows up on another line in the 1040.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies