turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where on the 1040 do I enter the Tax credit for storm shelter

IRS says I can deduct up to $2500 but doen not say where to make the entry
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Where on the 1040 do I enter the Tax credit for storm shelter

I don't recognize a Federal Tax Credit for a storm shelter.  However, the state of Alabama has such a credit.  

The AL Storm Shelter credit is a tax credit on the AL state tax return for up to three thousand dollars ($3,000) or 50 percent of the total cost of the construction, acquisition, and installation of the qualified storm shelter at the primary residence, whichever is less.

Please provide a reference for a federal tax credit for further assistance with that.  

The AL credit will need to be pre-certified through the My Alabama Taxes (MAT) system . Visit the Alabama Department of Revenue for additional information on qualification requirements.

You need to go here to apply for and submit documentation to get a certificate showing pre-approval for the credit.  

Once you have the certificate you then go to the AL Department of Revenue site here  and in the “Individuals” pane, click on “Submit an Individual Credit Claim.”

After all the certifications are completed you will find the Storm Shelter Tax Credit in the "Credits" section of the AL state return.  There you can enter the amount of credit pre-approved and listed on your certificate. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies