Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do i enter my mileage deduction in Turbo Tax Deluxe 1099-NEC

So 2020.. IRS changed 1099-misc to 1099 NEC. I used to file my tax using turbo tax deluxe. Apparently when i enter my 1099-NEC it doesn't give me any info where to enter my mileage under deductions. No schedule C like i can enter them before under 1099 MISC.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@ git2k19 wrote:

Turbo tax deluxe cd

I do food delivery and i was able to enter my mileage deduction last year using turbo tax deluxe cd. When i printed my tax return.. i can see schedule c page wherein i entered my mileage.

It depends on "where" you initially entered the Form 1099-NEC.   There are a couple of different places one could have entered it.  Since you didn't see the expense questions, I'll assume you entered the 1099-NEC in the manner I mention next, as opposed to directly entering it in the Business interview.

Did you enter your 1099-NEC in the section "Form 1099-MISC and Other Common Income" and then subtopic "Income from Form 1099-NEC?"  If so, you still need to go through the Business Income and Expenses interview.    After you entered the 1099-NEC, on one of the last screens of that section it should have shown you a screen with a statement on it to not forget to go through the Business section.  See this image:

1099-NEC.png

Federal Taxes tab.

Then subtab Wages & Income.

Blue button:  "I'll choose what I work on."

On the page "Your 2020 Income Summary" scroll down to topic "Business Items" and choose topic "Business Income and Expenses."

It may then show you a Business Summary screen.

Select your Business and click EDIT.

It then will have a bunch of questions about your business profile.

Keep answering a lot of screens, maybe a dozen or so.

You'll likely see a screen called "Form 1099-NEC Summary", which is the 1099-NEC you entered earlier; it can be edited there if needed.

If it shows you a screen asking if you got a Form 1099-MISC, answer appropriately.

Then it will ask if you had any income that was NOT on a Form 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC, such as cash, etc. (Don't report your 1099-NEC income twice!  You already reported it.)  

Eventually you will come to this screen where you can start the Business Expenses interview:

business_expenses.png

Be sure to review  your Schedule C prior to filing to be sure it's correct.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

@ git2k19 wrote:

So 2020.. IRS changed 1099-misc to 1099 NEC. I used to file my tax using turbo tax deluxe. Apparently when i enter my 1099-NEC it doesn't give me any info where to enter my mileage under deductions. No schedule C like i can enter them before under 1099 MISC.

"Which" Deluxe are you using--Online Deluxe (web version) or desktop software (CD/download)?

Do you have a Schedule C business--i.e., self-employed business, independent contractor, etc.?

Online Deluxe cannot prepare a Schedule C with expenses; it can only prepare Schedule C without expenses.   But the desktop software can prepare Schedule C with expenses.   We can tell you more when we know exactly what product you are using.

Turbo tax deluxe cd

I do food delivery and i was able to enter my mileage deduction last year using turbo tax deluxe cd. When i printed my tax return.. i can see schedule c page wherein i entered my mileage.

@ git2k19 wrote:

Turbo tax deluxe cd

It depends on "where" you initially entered the Form 1099-NEC.   There are a couple of different places one could have entered it.  Since you didn't see the expense questions, I'll assume you entered the 1099-NEC in the manner I mention next, as opposed to directly entering it in the Business interview.

Did you enter your 1099-NEC in the section "Form 1099-MISC and Other Common Income" and then subtopic "Income from Form 1099-NEC?"  If so, you still need to go through the Business Income and Expenses interview.    After you entered the 1099-NEC, on one of the last screens of that section it should have shown you a screen with a statement on it to not forget to go through the Business section.  See this image:

1099-NEC.png

Federal Taxes tab.

Then subtab Wages & Income.

Blue button:  "I'll choose what I work on."

On the page "Your 2020 Income Summary" scroll down to topic "Business Items" and choose topic "Business Income and Expenses."

It may then show you a Business Summary screen.

Select your Business and click EDIT.

It then will have a bunch of questions about your business profile.

Keep answering a lot of screens, maybe a dozen or so.

You'll likely see a screen called "Form 1099-NEC Summary", which is the 1099-NEC you entered earlier; it can be edited there if needed.

If it shows you a screen asking if you got a Form 1099-MISC, answer appropriately.

Then it will ask if you had any income that was NOT on a Form 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC, such as cash, etc. (Don't report your 1099-NEC income twice!  You already reported it.)  

Eventually you will come to this screen where you can start the Business Expenses interview:

business_expenses.png

Be sure to review  your Schedule C prior to filing to be sure it's correct.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies