Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What's the HSA contribution limit for me and my spouse if we switch the family HDHP coverage from my spouse's plan to my plan in Oct?

My family were covered by my spouse's family HDHP plan from Jan through Oct, and he has made some contributions to his HSA account. We will switch our family coverage to my family HDHP plan in Nov and Dec, and I will also make some contributions to my HSA. So throughout the entire year, we are covered by one family HDHP plan, just in Jan~Oct from my spouse's employer, and in Nov and Dec, through my employer. My question is wether there is a HSA contribution limit separately for me and my spouse, i.e., whether he can contribute all $8300 to his account and I contribute $0 to my HSA account, or he can contribute $5000 to his account and I contribute the rest of $3300 to my HSA account, or our contributions have to match the ratio of months we hold the HDHP (8300*10/12 for my spouse, and 8300*2/12 for me )?  Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Opus 17
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

What's the HSA contribution limit for me and my spouse if we switch the family HDHP coverage from my spouse's plan to my plan in Oct?

If you are "covered" by a family HDHP, you can make contributions to an HSA in your own name, even if you are not the named primary insured person.  Coverage is determined month to month on the first day of each month.  It sounds like you and your spouse are covered for all 12 months, even though the primary insured will change.  So your personal limits are $8300 each, with a combined family maximum also $8300.  Meaning you can divide the $8300 limit between you in any way that you want.

Note that if you can make contributions by payroll deduction, you save more than by making after-tax contributions, because payroll deductions save the 7.65% social security and medicare tax, in addition to state and federal income taxes.  But you can still make contributions in any order or combination you want since you are both "covered" for the whole year.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies

I will page @dmertz. Please check back later.

since you both were or will be covered by a HDHP for all of 2024 - either can contribute up to the max or it can be split anyway you want. if either or both are over 55 there is a $1000 maximum catchup for each that is over that age, but it can only be contributed to the account of the person over 55 or up to $1000 to each account if both are over 55

the family max as you noted for 2024 is $8300

in turbotax when you do the HSA entries check for each HSA form that you were covered by a family HDHP for all of 2024

dmertz
Level 15

Your are both covered by a family HDHP the entire year, so the maximum regular contribution for 2024 is $8,300 combined, no matter which of your accounts receives the contributions.  It doesn't matter which of the employers provides the HDHP insurance.  So yes, the two of you can allocate all $8,300 of the contribution limit to his account and $0 to yours, or you can choose any other split you desire.  When preparing your 2024 tax return with TurboTax, you'll simply indicate that each of you had family HDHP coverage for all 12 months of the year.

Opus 17
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

If you are "covered" by a family HDHP, you can make contributions to an HSA in your own name, even if you are not the named primary insured person.  Coverage is determined month to month on the first day of each month.  It sounds like you and your spouse are covered for all 12 months, even though the primary insured will change.  So your personal limits are $8300 each, with a combined family maximum also $8300.  Meaning you can divide the $8300 limit between you in any way that you want.

Note that if you can make contributions by payroll deduction, you save more than by making after-tax contributions, because payroll deductions save the 7.65% social security and medicare tax, in addition to state and federal income taxes.  But you can still make contributions in any order or combination you want since you are both "covered" for the whole year.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies