turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We installed two new triple pane patio doors; can we claim this for 2020 tax return?

We had an old double pane patio door and a 2window/1door unit that was installed when the house was built in 1993. We replaced both with triple pane patio doors in 2020, will we be able to claim this for the tax year? If yes, what documentation do I need and what amount can I claim. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

We installed two new triple pane patio doors; can we claim this for 2020 tax return?

No.  You can't deduct the cost of repairs or improvements to your own home. Instead, the cost of capital improvements (but not repairs) is added to your cost basis when you sell, thus reducing your taxable capital gain.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

@TomD8   It's not a deduction....but Hasn't the energy efficiency credit for installation of energy efficient doors been re-instated for 2020?  ( I would imagine doors includes sliding glass doors ? )

It's still listed in the October DRAFT form 5695 instructions, page 7, line 19b........but the door/sliding door would have to be compliant with version 6.0 of the energy star requirements, and the taxpayer would have to have their door documents that show it meets those limits.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i5695--dft.pdf

..( I see Pella claims they have energy star compliant triple pane sliding doors ...but they say nothing about tax credits....though Anderson does:   https://www.andersenwindows.com/taxcredit/ ).

The recent Budget bill extended a lot of energy credits 2-4 years, but I can't figure out which might apply to doors/windows for 2021 and beyond.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
TomD8
Level 15

@SteamTrain --  

You're right, the residential energy credit was extended though 12/31/2020.  For qualified windows and doors, the taxpayer can take a credit of 10% of the cost (not including installation) up to $500 (windows are capped at $200).

Equipment Tax Credits for Primary Residences | About ENERGY STAR | ENERGY STAR

I think a sliding glass door would qualify as a "door" rather than a window.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies