turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

iceref

Vehicle Depreciation sold

I purchased a 2006 Dodge Charger in 2006.  Used it for business and pleasure every year until Oct-19.  I traded it in for a new vehicle.  The vehicle should have fully depreciated after 15 years of service but my projected tax went up over $2000.  I don't think I completed the depreciation form correctly.  Help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

If the vehicle was fully depreciated, it has a basis of zero. If you traded it in for a $2,000 credit, you received $2,000 value for the car and it would be taxable. What did you do?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@iceref wrote:

Used it for business and pleasure every year until Oct-19.  

TurboTax does not calculate things for a vehicle that varies in business percentage from year to year.   You would either need to MANUALLY figure out the numbers and enter the sale in the "Sale of Business Property" section, or go to a tax professional.

Anonymous
Not applicable

the current law denies like-kind trade in treatment for your old auto. you are deemed to have sold it for the trade in value.     this value needs to be split between personal and business based on total business mileage over the years to total mileage. 

since the personal portion isn't deprecited the potion of the trade-in value allocated to it would result in a personal loss which isn't deductible. 

the basis of the new vehicle ignores the trade in value.  fo example sales price $5,000 trade in value  $3,000 net cash paid $2,000.  you basis for the new vehicle is $5,000

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies